David & Georgiana Albright Tennis Complex, home to Tiger men's and women's tennis.
|Dedicated:||Sept. 27, 1997|
|First Match:||Sept. 24, 1997|
|L, 0-9 vs. Wright State (W)|
|Lights:||Yes (6 Courts)|
Parking • Directions
About This Facility
The David B. & Georgiana S. Albright Tennis Complex, opened in 1997 and named for the former chair of the Wittenberg Board of Directors and his wife for her $1 million contribution to the project, is one of the finest outdoor NCAA Division III tennis facilities in the state.
The complex features 12 state-of-the-art Dynaflex courts, six of them with competition lighting, with two sunken center courts.
During the summer of 2012, the courts were given new life, and a new color scheme, with a complete reconditioning conducted by Total Tennis Inc. of Columbus, Ohio.
With plenty of courts and spacious walkways and berms, the Albright Tennis Complex is a natural home for regional and even national tennis competitions at levels from AAU to ITA.
The complex was designed by a team from the Columbus-based architectural firm of Jack D. Walters and Associates including 1992 Wittenberg graduate Holly Everhart McCombs, who made the initial drawings of the facility. Shook Construction of Dayton, Ohio, undertook the general contracting.
Located directly west of the HPER Center and north of Hollenbeck Hall, the courts are within a short walk from any campus destination and are nestled along the residential N. Lowry Ave. The courts stretch from Bill Edwards Drive to the south to W. McCreight Ave. to the north.
A team facility, which includes technical equipment for restringing rackets and a satellite training area, serves as a base of operations for the Tiger tennis teams.
To read more about the completion and dedication of the Albright Tennis Complex, visit the original press release here. The courts are well maintained thanks to an endowment by the GAR Foundation of Akron.
Wittenberg does not charge admission to regular season varsity tennis matches. Seating is first-come, first-serve in lawn areas and on a set of bleachers at the center courts.
Accessibility: Albright Tennis Complex is fully accessible to individuals with disabilities, and the Athletics staff is happy to make accommodations for interested patrons. Please contact Hope Creasy, facilities coordinator, at 937-327-6469 for more information.
David B. '40 & Georgiana S. Albright '40
The facility was made possible thanks to Mrs. Georgiana Albright of Akron and Long Boat Key, Florida. Mrs. Albright's gift was in memory of her late husband, David, who served as chair of the Wittenberg Board of Directors for six years. He died May 4, 1994, in Florida at age 75.
Mrs. Albright, a magna cum laude graduate and the 1939 Alma Mater, died in 2014. She and her husband met at Wittenberg and were faithful servants of the school their entire lives.
Mr. Albright was born in Youngstown and moved to Akron at an early age. He graduated from Buchtel High School in 1936 and in 1978 was inducted into the Summit County Sports Hall of Fame. At Wittenberg, he was an All-Ohio Athletic Conference basketball player and the team's most valuable player. He went on to earn a degree from the Harvard Business School in 1941.
Mr. Albright joined Akron Savings and Loan Company where he eventually became president and chief executive officer. When it merged with TransOhio Savings Association, Albright became vice chair of the board. In 1990 Albright was awarded the Wittenberg Medal of Honor.
The Albright Tennis Complex was built during the spring of 1997 and opened during Homecoming Weekend the following fall. A dedication ceremony on that Saturday, Sept. 27, officially cut the ribbon on the facility. The removal of the former courts and construction of the new ones put the tennis teams' 1997 schedule mostly on the road, although several "home" matches were played at the Springfield Country Club and the Springfield Racquet Club.
Prior to the construction of the $1 million facility, the Tiger tennis teams practiced and competed at courts located next to Firestine Hall (formerly known as North Hall). In moving to the new complex, the Tigers doubled their courtspace and moved closer to the locker room and training facilities in the HPER Center.
The courts at North Hall were built over several years in the early 1900s. The Torch, Wittenberg's student newspaper, reported in 1915 that the addition of two new courts had been halted due to a lack of funds, but in 1916 work was completed. In 1917, two faculty courts were added and it was noted that "court number three (is) reserved for girls."
John Strawn '07